Look at these beauties. This purchase marks the end, no, the beginning of a BIG challenge that I’m about to start. No shopping for 365 days. 365 whole days. One full year. No new clothes until September 1, 2016. Yeeeps!
This is big for me. I love shopping. Shopping is one of my coping mechanisms. When life gets tough, I head to the mall. I kind of knew this my whole life, but it really came in to light for me last weekend during a 3 day intensive workshop (more on that later). “Looking put-together” is one of my main forms of armour. A part of me wants to intimidate others so they don’t approach me. That was a hard realization to swallow! This is part of why I decided to take this challenge.
Part 2 came from recently watching this video:
It awoke something inside of me. I finally realize what a throw-away philosophy I’ve been living… and I don’t want to live it anymore. I want to see what it feels like to cherish what I have, to take care of what I love, and to be more mindful. I believe that if I start small, with my clothes, these feelings will spill over into other aspects of my life.
Finally, part 3 is simple… I want to save money. Money feels like water slipping through my hands lately. When I was walking home on Saturday I was suddenly struck by this idea (no shopping for 365 days) and it felt like a weight was lifted off me. I find myself often dreaming of what to buy next… to the point where I’ve mentally spent all of my spending money before it’s payday. No more! Well… at least not for the next 365 days 😉
The Challenge: No clothes shopping for 365 days (from September 1, 2015 – August 31, 2016)
*Disclaimer – these rules are 100% made up by me, for me. If they don’t suit you, you can pick your own rules!
- I can purchase new bras and underwear. Because bras and underwear that are piling, have holes, and are falling apart are just ew. I want to feel good in my undergarments all the time.
- I can purchase new socks. Have you ever tried working out wearing socks with holes? Hello blisters. No thanks.
- Over the course of the year I can purchase 1 new pair of pajamas. My current pair of PJ pants have a small hole in them that is slowly increasing in size. It’s only a matter of time before they are no longer wearable in front of friends. And I like sleepovers. So, new PJ’s are okay.
- I can purchase some accessories; (1) tights (2) jewellery (3) the occasional scarf. Accessories are a great way to revamp an outfit! However, I do have that video in the back of my mind, so it will only be pieces that I absolutely love and will keep for a long time.
- I can purchase an everyday tank top (your basic tank in white/black/grey) I did a complete assessment of my wardrobe when I got home on Saturday and tops are the only area I feel concerned about. I have about 3 tank tops, and my go to outfit is jeans and a tank top with a sweater. And I just shrunk my favourite tank last week… so I’m giving myself one small pass here.
- NO purchasing new shoes, dresses, skirts, shorts, pants, blouses, robes, kimonos, heels, booties, rain coats, winter coats, gym clothes, runners, gum boots, hats, purses, backpacks… you get the drift.
Wish me luck!
Have you ever wanted to try your own personal challenge? What would it be? Go do it! I believe in you.
Daily Affirmation: “I am capable of great things”